Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Merry Christmas!

It’s the most wonderful time of the year!

O, I wasn’t so charitable yesterday in traffic when we were cut off by that idiot in a Hyundai – but it was definitely divine intervention that I didn’t choke the life out of the old bat in front of me with a cartload of crap in the 10 items or less line.

But I definitely feel more “Christmassy” this year.

In fact, I’ve stopped saying “Happy Holidays” completely.

I am a Christian. I was born a Christian. I was raised a Christian. This is the time of year we celebrate the birth of our Messiah and I’m going to wish you a Merry Christmas.

Now I know that it was a Pope that chose December 25th as Christmas Day.

I know it was a response to the Pagan celebrations surrounding the Winter Solstice.

I know that most of the symbolism surrounding the holiday was “borrowed” from other cultures and religions. And do you know what?

I don’t care.

I like it.

I like the fact that during the darkest days of the winter our houses are lit with colourful lights.

I like the fact that we have an excuse to gather with friends and family to feast.

I like that we sing special songs and that my house smells like ginger and pine tree.

What about that is offensive?

Just what about any of it is offensive?

Now, I can understand why other religions don’t care for Christianity. We weren’t exactly charitable during the Crusades and we were definitely less that tolerant of the pagan religions of the new world.

But check your calendars folks, it’s nearly 2010. The world has moved on. At some point one has to simply get over it.

The political correctness of our society is maddening.

Governments are issuing apologies for things that happened hundreds of years ago, things that occurred when their grandfather’s grandfathers were just a twinkle in their daddy’s eye.

And we’re trying to make up for the atrocities that occurred centuries ago by letting the minority dictate to the majority.

Prayers have been removed from school. The Queen has been removed from the Girl Guide Promise and The Men’s Christmas Dinner has been replaced with the Soldier’s Seasonal Appreciation Dinner. All because at some point some hippie, yuppie, politically correct idiot said, “That offends me.”

Well boys. Brace yourself.

When I wish you Merry Christmas I am wishing you the very best of what I believe in. If this offends you - as my son would say, “get out your big girl panties and get them on.”

The manger scenes do not promote violence or intolerance and therefore I fail to see why they are perceived as offensive. It’s not a re-enactment of a bloody coup or a murder. It’s a baby. Suck it up.

I want to sing about angels and wise men. And I want to do it in public. Right along with the songs about Santa and elves. If you don’t like it – I suggest you bring earplugs with you.

If you’re uncomfortable with this, then my suggestion would be for you to stay at home.

Personally, I would welcome a wish for a Happy Hanukkah or a Joyous Ramadan.

I’m done excluding the things I believe in. I’m done leaving the traditions of my childhood in the dirt.

I think the discarding of our traditions is part of the reason why the world is in the state it’s in.

And I think it’s time we stopped.

Fear not. For behold I bring you good tiding of great joy which shall be for all people.

For unto you. Is born this day in the City of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.

And this shall be a sign unto you; ye shall find the babe, wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.

And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly hosts praising God and saying, Glory to God in the highest. And on Earth peace, good will toward men.

Merry Christmas!

Louise

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU GO GIRL Merry christmas to you and yours!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Normally I love your posts. They often speak to me, as they voice what I often think and feel and wish I had voiced myself, - but your last post on the holiday season couldn’t be farther from my views. You see, I was born and raised catholic before I reached the age of reason. I now see myself not only as an Atheist but increasingly as a militant Atheist. You see, for some reason Christians seem to take the view that the right to believe what you wish doesn’t include me. If I choose not to believe, and insist you respect my rights to do this, I am often viewed as anti-Christian. I’ll demonstrate. If I was to say to you that all school days are required to start with prayers to the God Ehecatl-Quetzalcoatl regardless of your and your child’s religious views you was scream blue murder. The obvious solution is to have no prayer in school so no one is forced to pray to anyone else’s god OR to allow all students some quiet time to pray to their own god in their own way. This however is characterized as an attack on religion rather than a fair equal and inclusive practice. You can then do your thing and others can do theirs. (It of course begs the question why don’t you simply have your child pray before they leave home for school, why does the school have to own responsibility for your religious instruction? Isn’t that your job as a parent?)

You speak at length of the crimes and abuses of organized religions, (Christians in no way own the monopoly on abuse treatments of others they just had better PR …) and you would have your readers believe it all happened a long time ago. I would suggest the good folks of Antigonish, NS would disagree, AS would anyone who was raised in Mount Cashell orphanage in St. John’s, NL. These abuses are not only recent but the organizations that harbored the perpetrators still deny a. their roles in hiding the crimes committed by their membership, and; b. admitting their guilt and making amends to their victims. Folks in Waco, Texas, and Cape Town can speak at length about the currency of crimes committed in the name of some god or other. All in the name of religion.

You are right though. The holiday season is important. It is very necessary in light of the evils above that we do stop, reflect and think of our friends, loved ones and families. It is important for people to evaluate if they are living up to the high ideals of their “enlightened” religions. -Because frankly, the organizations themselves have been sorely lacking. It is important that we stop and reflect if we are truly tolerant and understanding of others in a kind caring and humane manner, if we behave in a manner that shares and includes others rather than excludes them or forces them to live the way we believe they should. This is important, as the attitude of “if you don’t like it stay at home,” would have left all of our forefathers still in Ireland, Scotland, England, France, India, Japan etc…

The reality is that this country (Canada) was built on higher ideals and aspires to more than an intolerant “Put on your big girl panties” . And if I recall my bible class so does your God. (Peace on Earth and good will towards all men) (I am assuming that is meant to include women too!)

;-)

P.S. Keep writing. :-)