Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Letting her out of the box

I hate shopping.

I’ve always hated shopping. I’ve got friends and family who are quite happy to go into a mall for hours on end and look at everything on the shelves, me - not so much.

Maybe that’s why I love big box stores. Any time I can one stop shop I go for it.

Which is why I find myself in Wal-Mart on a sunny morning purchasing dog food, sneakers, and a new bathmat. Only department stores have that sort of combo shopping.

It’s red Friday – so I’m wearing my red “Support our Troops” tee.

I’m standing in line – the Wal-Mart checkout chick is asking me if I found everything I was looking for and I hear this nasally, heavy accented, voice say “I hate those red t-shirts. I can’t believe people are supporting the war, Canada has no right to be there” and something else that the blood rushing to my head blocks out.

She’s obviously meant for me to hear her opinion – we’re two cart lengths away from each other. She could have leaned over to her friend and whispered her thoughts – she’s chosen not to – bad move on her part.

“Excuse me?” I hear myself say.

“You heard me,” she replies. “It’s disgraceful that Canadian soldiers are over there and supporting that is shameful.”

I look at my hands and I actually hear the snap as my hold on my temper, and my mouth, simultaneously let go.

I hate stupid people. I hate them as much as I hate shopping. More even. And how dare this foreign-born cow even open her mouth about the Canadian military? Especially since she’s standing not even 20 Kms away from the largest military training base in the Commonwealth? She doesn’t realize that she’s stepped in a hornets’ nest.

I’m livid. I’m at that point where you’re so angry you can feel your body vibrate. I can feel the hair on my head. It’s not going to be pretty. The little cashier is waving frantically for a supervisor and I open my mouth.

My brain-mouth filter has been completely removed and the R-rated version of my deepest thoughts and beliefs come flooding out.

Miss Opinion opens her mouth to respond but takes one look at my face and understands what speaking at this point would mean.

I’m ranting and I know it. And it feels good.

A crowd is gathering. Watching a harried military spouse in a red t-shirt tear a strip off of a beautifully coiffed dark skinned lady at the top of her lungs. At one point I hear them clap.

I’m sick of the CBC ending every story from Afghanistan with the line “96 soldiers and one politician have been killed since 2002” – how many people were killed in Canada since 2002??

I am sick to death of the election making Afghanistan a campaign issue. I am sick of that group in Fredericton protesting at the Freedom of the City Parade. I am sick of the website and the group that wants businesses to remove the support our troops signs in their windows. They hide behind the “freedom of speech” banner – who the heck do they think defends the right to that??? I am sick of it all and this woman will hear every word.

“I, for one, am extremely proud of the fact that the military exists. I am proud that my husband is a soldier. I am proud that these men and women are willing to put their lives on the line and go to some third world part of this planet and do whatever they are asked to do. I am proud that I am a military spouse and I will not be ashamed to show that pride, in what I wear, in where I live, in who I am. And if you don’t like it – feel free to get back on whichever boat that brought you here.”

The cashier looks like she’s about to be sick. Miss Opinion and her friend are pale. I’m shaking.

I pay for my stuff and head for the exit. The cops have probably been called. All I can think of is getting to the car. I want to puke.

Halfway across the parking lot an employee, maybe he’s a manager, catches up to me.

“Great – I’m going to be banned from the stupid Wal-Mart” is what I’m thinking.

But Wal-Mart knows which side its bread is buttered on and I actually get apologized to for the staff not stepping in when the other lady attempted her bullying. I look at him like I’m half stunned.

Thank you, I manage to squeak out.

In my car I burst into tears, ashamed I couldn’t hold it together, and worried that it’ll make the news. I can see the headline now “Military Spouse Goes Postal at Wal-Mart” news at 11.

Can I do eight more months? Day 32.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Louise, you have NOTHING, and i repeat NOTHING!!!!! to be ashamed of.
That poor excuse for a human being doesn't have the slightest clue of what you are going through. I was smiling along as i read, thinking of so many other people who would have LOVED to have been in your position!
Thanks, sweetheart, for standing up for what you believe in, for standing up for us.

Brent Burden

Anonymous said...

Louise I am so proud of you and yet at the same time so sorry for you having to endure that type of abuse from someone who is so far removed from what you and the children are going through! If she is living in Canada she should at least keep her rude comments to herself and be so thankful that she can live in such a country as Canada so freely!

P.S Dad says give 'em hell girl!!

Love mom

emma said...

I apologize if this shows up more than once, I am having problems.

Thank you Louise for sharing your experience. Let that gal out of the box more often. I too find myself defending our troops in this idealistic university town. It is what our troops do and protect that allow these idealistic people to voice their opinions. I believe these will be the same people one day screaming for military protection. We need to fight this terrorism while we have a military and a voice.

I am reminded of this poem written by Martin Niemoller,

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

J. Neilson said...

Loved your comment. Wish I had been there to cheer you on!
I am a proud spouse of a 28 year vet and have two currently serving brothers serving brothers. We always wear red on Fridays and lots of other times as well. Our nephew has just returned from Afghanistan. He's with the British army.
You keep up the good work, and anytime you need support you can count on me! Have had similar experiences myself.
Jacquie Neilson

Anonymous said...

Good for you to speak your mind when most others would have kept silent...
She had it coming for her.

We may not all agree with the war being fought, but as Canadians, we should all be standing behind our soldiers, risking their lives, trying to make the world a better place.

Bravo Zulu to you.

Anonymous said...

You Go Girl! That B***h deserved everything you said and more. Whatever happened to "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

"BE STRONG"

Gail Rees (Rumbolt)

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Louise! There are many people who don't believe that Canada should be in Afghanistan but there is no need to spout off in some twisted desire to make a jab at someone. The soldiers are doing what is asked of them and absolutely should be supported by all Canadians. They are the ones who are putting their lives on the line for the good of others and I would never have the guts to do that myself. Hang in there.

angeleyes said...

I am so sorry that you had to go though this. Enda and i are friends and she lead me here...There still people in canada that do not realize that their freedom is based on out troops over there.....I truly thing you handle this well me i would have been arrested lol
keep your chin up and we will all be here for you to vent to I love this blog....

Anonymous said...

I want to say to you that my father served for the military for 33 years and every man and woman that is in the military are like family and you should never be ashamed for what you say thoes men and woman are there to allow people like her to have the freedom we have here it makes me sick when i here all the crap about the solders you a very lucky lady to have such a brave man behind you and so are the rest of the wives and husbands that are back here waiting for them to come home i think you were completly in the right she was a brainless ass tell you husband we are all thinking about him and you and want to thank him and the rest of the troops that are over there for everything they are doing.

Steve Gilks

Anonymous said...

Louise, I myself am Military member for 27 years. I read this blog and what I saw was what we all would like to say to all these people that do not understand, Understand that the freedoms they enjoy in this country come people such as your husband, and many others before him, they do njot understand that these freedoms we enjoy come at a very high price.

So in short louise I salute you for standing up for your beliefs and convictions and most importantly all of us that need to let these people know the harsh truths..

Bravo Zulu!!!!!! May your husband come home safe...and I am sure he is the proudest member overseas!!