Friday, October 10, 2008

Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!

I’m at a loss.

I know I’m going to do it – but to who? Who do I trust?

Who do I trust with everything?

Usually Rick and I would sit and discuss anything this important. We debate – (a polite way to say we argue loudly) the pros and cons of the issues and come to some sort of consensus and stick to that plan.

This time the whole thing seems both more monumental and more insignificant than anything before. Monumental because Rick’s life, not just his livelihood, is on the line this time and insignificant because of the choices themselves.

I’ve watched, with varying degrees of amusement and annoyance, the mudslinging between the parties. But I’ve yet to see one genuine sliver of real emotion from any of them.

They’re political Milli Vanillis. Mouthing what they think we want to hear. Looking us in the eye and making promises while keeping their fingers crossed behind their backs. It’s mentally exhausting to watch them carrying favour with the special interest groups.

Harper lost my respect last spring with the “retirement” of Canada’s top soldier. I guess Steve couldn’t take the fact that there was a real leader in his midst.

Dion never had it. He comes across as one of those people who would wring their hands in the face of a crisis instead of forging through. As far as I’m concerned it’ll take the Liberals a long time to recover from his proposed Carbon Tax. I’m from a place where two income families had to go to food banks last winter because they couldn’t afford the heating fuel for their homes and he wants to add a tax to that???

I like Layton’s social policies. Hate his stance on the military. Maybe if I smoked more marijuana in college….

And May? Well, I think the environment is important too – but not more important than people.

So where does that leave me? In a perfect world I’d use genetic splicing - I’d smash May and Layton together and use Rick Hiller for glue – maybe then we’d have someone worth voting for.

One of my husband’s favourite quotes is “it’s better to die for something than to live for nothing.” A brave statement from a brave soldier. I just hope whoever wins next week can appreciate the fact that there are people from this country willing to do whatever they’re asked by the people who spent the last month accusing each other of plagiarism, heavy handedness, stupidity and more.
Pony up boys and girls. You’ve got my husband’s life in your hands. Day 49.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear ya girl... It 6:32 on tuesday Oct 13 and I still haven't decided.. the polls are open till 9 just up the street..... I will vote but man its gonna be hard one this time thats for sure.Have to think about the boys over there and who will best serve them and our country. SOT chin up girl!!!!