Saturday, October 25, 2008

You've got Mail


The mail comes every day at noon.

What does that matter? You ask – well it doesn’t if you don’t live on our street, I suppose.

But it’s comforting to know that sometimes things run on schedule. Especially now.

So by 1300 I’m checking the mail. What else have I got to do?

Today there’s a package card. I’m not expecting a package.

After the deployment coffee break I head to the post office.

The trip into the post office is fast. Partly because I’ve got a lead foot and partly because I’m excited – the kind of little-kid-on-Christmas-Eve excited. Because I think I know who sent the package!

I’m an avid E-Bayer so the lady at the post office knows me. And she hands me this monster huge package. It must weigh 30 pounds and I can’t get my arms around it.

But it’s from Reid RT and my heart skips.

Getting it from the car to the house is a challenge. I’m half swearing about the size and weight of the package and scared to death I’ll drop it and break it so it’s a slow walk up the stone steps.

Panting by the time I get to the door I wedge it between me and the doorframe to rest my arms. What in the world is in this, rocks?

I half stagger into the kitchen and put it on the table with a thump. It looks even bigger here.

I check the clock. Sigh – not enough time to open it – I have to get the kids washed and jammied and into bed.

An hour later and it’s just me. I sit – staring at the box as if it’s the answer to some eternal riddle.

Scissors, a knife and a few cut knuckles later and the treasures are in front of me. Beautiful things. Colourful pashminas, a marble tea set, a marble chess set. He knows me so well that everything is perfect. As if I had been there with him to choose it.

I hope he calls tomorrow. Day 62

No comments: