Sunday, February 15, 2009

Feel the Love


Valentines Day. A day for lovers. Or, as my Dad would say, Hallmark’s greatest invention.

This will be the second February 14th that we’ve spent apart. Last year he was in Edmonton training for the tour, this year he’s on the tour.

It’s been a rough week.

Both of us are ready for the tour to be over. We’re tired, we’re lonely, and we’re done with being alone.

For the last several weeks he’s been doing a different job. We haven’t met online much and have spoken on the phone only once or twice. It’s a lonely departure from the near daily phone calls and Skype “dates” we’ve been having for the last few months.

So when a knock comes on the door I’m a little surprised. And when a man thrusts a dozen long stemmed red roses into my hand I’m pretty much gob smacked.

He’s remembered! HE’S REMEMBERED!!!

They’re beautiful. The card only reads “Love You.” And I feel tears and whisper back “love you too, Babe.”

My day is looking up.

Dani and Holden are coming for the night. They haven’t been over since before school went back into session after the Christmas holidays and we’ve missed them fiercely.

If you had told me ten years ago that I would feel so strongly about another woman’s children I’d have told you to get your head checked. But one thing my husband, and being in an army spouse has taught me is that blood doesn’t make families – love makes families. These kids are mine, too, in every way that matters and it’s been lonely without them.

To celebrate I’m making a combination of their favourite foods. I’m anxiously looking at the clock when the dogs announce their arrival. Holden comes in first – flowers in his hand. He’s so tall. He looks so much like his dad that my heart aches.

Dani is caught up with the dogs. The little one won’t let her by without picking her up. It seems I’m not the only one who’s missed them. She’s brought chocolates. It looks like I’m getting a little spoiled on Valentine’s Day after all.

We’re talking and putting the finishing touches on desert when the phone rings. The last four digits tell me who it is – RICK! The only way it could be better is if he were here.

I smile as the phone gets passed around. If I can’t be with my love today I’ve got the second best thing – a house full of love.

One more thing to be grateful for.

Happy Valentine’s Day!

Day 178

No comments: