Monday, March 9, 2009

An amazing display of courage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Daw-jhNQ1vw

The above link will connect you to the most moving interviews I’ve ever seen. Michelle Brown, widow of Warrant Officer Dennis Brown recently killed in Afghanistan, stands before the cameras.

I’m purposely distancing myself against the news again. The insurgent attacks are increasing again and I’ve nearly got myself worried sick with Rick’s return so close.

I’m aware of the Canadian losses. I feel pain at the announcement of each new name. And I continue to marvel in anger at the collective rudeness of a majority of comments at the tail of each story on the CBC and CTV websites.

Yet in the midst of this one woman has gathered the courage to address the media.

It’s been less than a week since her husband was killed by an IED, and Michelle Brown decided to speak to the media. Not just in a prepared statement that so many families issue, she was willing to stand up and answer the media’s questions.

I wonder if she realized at the time that she was putting into words what so many of the wives are feeling. I wonder if she knew how proud we would be of her.

I’d like to think that if anything happened to Rick I would have the wherewithal to stand in front of strangers and tell the world that I am proud of him. I would like to think that I wouldn’t break down into a sobbing mess and that someone wouldn’t have to lead me off stage left.

I’d like to think I could stand there and tell them how much I love him. I’d like to think I could hold it together when the liberal media asked questions like whether or not I thought this war was in vain.

I would like to think all these things. In reality I know that I would stand there with tears running down my face while my throat closed off and reduced my speaking voice to an inaudible squeak.

So, to see her standing there, with such poise, made my heart swell and made me sit with my head a little higher. Her strength was enormous and I hope her message reached out and touched the Canadian public.

Wherever her husband is he must be so proud of her. I haven’t even met her and I’m proud of her.

Thank you, Mrs. Brown. Thank you for representing your fellow military spouses with the dignity, grace and courage we would all like to display. Your family is in my prayers, and thank you for your husband’s sacrifice.

Day 197

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

THIS Canadian is proud of Mrs Brown - just as I am so grateful to ALL our military families, and their loved ones who serve. I often write on our heroes (from both sides of the border) and I ALWAYS am humbled by the courage of you all on the homefront.

I stand with all of you, and keep you all in my prayers..

The link I am giving here is to the post I did about Mrs Brown)