Sunday, April 19, 2009

Settling in

*I want to thank everyone for their kind words of encouragement and support. A few people commented on the blog itself, many more e-mailed or sent messages on Facebook.

One particular friend, whose opinion I have respected for a very long time, gave me this piece of advice: “Write until you know your life is back to as normal as any life gets. You will know when. Peace and contentment will find you both eventually, and when it does, you will be done.”

As sound a piece of advice as was ever given. And one I’m going to follow.

Happy reading.


– Louise



Realization has started to set in.

He’s really home.

Once the initial elation over seeing him sort of dissipated I began to feel guilty. Guilty for being the reason that he ultimately came home earlier than planned.

Now I know that I can’t control what’s happening with this pregnancy. I know I’ve done my best – but somehow I just can’t shake the feeling that I’ve intruded.

I’m hoping it’s my imagination. I’m reasonably sure it is. But after this long we both know that my emotions don’t always respond to reason.

I mentioned it to him a few days after he got home. He basically told me I was crazy. His way of changing the subject.

He’s been amazing.

His parents have been amazing.

Things that languished on the “honey-do” list for years have been done. It’s like the Energizer Bunny got a jolt of Red Bull.

Don’t get me wrong – I’m really enjoying the fact that stuff is getting done, but, given the fact that I can’t help – I’m feeling a little like a third wheel.

I’ve been told my only job for the next however long is to grow this baby. Every week matters. And the closer we get to her due date – the safer things will be – for both of us.

So for the time being I’ll lie here. Watch him go from soldier to Superdad in one feel swoop and pray for the patience to stand back and let it happen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello!
I have you bookmarked, and thought I'd check in to see if you've been around. (And to look at the pictues of homecoming again...LOVE those!)
Nice to hear that you are settling in. I remember the homecomings...and the huge (though welcome!)adjustment that it requires.
So, as you sit back and "grow that baby", know that we are still out here...
Laurien
PS. If you want a new friend on Facebook, I'm on there too.
Laurien Gutsole-Tremblay